Thursday, October 25, 2012

It's Good to Talk


There is such a thrill when a baby says his/her first word - Mama or Dada.  After a couple of years we complain and get frustrated at the constant chatter and questions.  We know they are wanting to learn and know how things work but sometimes we wish they would just be quiet.  We long for bedtime and a bit of peace and quiet!  It seems no time at all until they are off to live on their own and then, oh how we miss hearing them.


At the beginning of this week a friend who usually blogs an update on her life in Latvia on a Monday evening wrote that this week her update was being put on hold for a few days as her parents were visiting and they were spending a lot of time talking.  I’m sure they had a lot to share as living abroad they don’t get to see each other as often as they would like.  Yesterday I was in town and was surprised to see a friend I haven’t seen for a few years.  We spent a good while chatting and catching up.  She told me all about her youngest daughter who is now 14 and that she herself has now remarried.  So much news in a few minutes!  Then at the bus stop I met another lady I hadn’t seen for about 18 months and was able to have a brief chat before her bus came.  That morning had been so productive, not just because I had managed to get the things I went into town for but because I had been able to catch up with old friends I hadn’t seen for a while.  It felt so good to talk.

Through the medium of social networks and email I have received a number of requests for prayer this week and have been very happy to bring their needs to God on their behalf.  Talking and sharing with friends can be such a help.  The old saying goes – a problem shared is a problem halved – and it does help to know that you’re not alone when there are troubled times.

This afternoon my elder sister and brother-in-law arrive from the northeast to visit for a few days.  They do this every year about this time on ‘the Christmas run’ as we call it to exchange Christmas gifts before the days gets too dark and weather worsens for travel.  But what is really good is being able to have long chats about family and friends we don’t see very often.  So until next Tuesday I won’t be on the PC so much as we will be talking … … and talking … … and talking.  Exchanging news, sharing experiences and just enjoying the company of friends and family is SO important.  Thank you Lord for this blessing.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

It is good to talk indeed, unfortunately I am not going to blog until next week. Not much to say apart from we talked :).

My daughter's first word was not mama or dada but cat! Oh well!

Mavis said...

Your last line made me laugh!